Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Story from Hungary


I came across this book (International Stories for Children) and thought it may be useful for those learning Arabic. It has the tashkeel in it and tells different stories from around the world. I recorded my voice reading it in MSA and 3ameyya. It's my first time to be recording so I'm not very good at it. Any suggestions for improving the sound quality are most appreciated. I'd also like to know if I should be speaking slower.

This is the first story in the book, Katika. Just click on the picture to move to the next page. First, the MSA version. I tried to read without an Egyptian accent, but slipped a few times with the jeem. ^_^



The 3ameyya version:



I translated into 3ameyya as I went along, trying to keep it as close to the MSA as possible without sounding weird. Here are a few things that I had trouble with:


  • وإنما ذهب الحمار بها إلى هناك   for some reason I would try to say ennama el7omaar raa7 beeha lehnaak, but seeing the MSA put the verb first, I'd mix it up. Looking at it now, I can't see anything wrong with saying ennama raa7 el7omaar beeha lehnaak

  • When Katika first meets the king, she meets him with her head lowered (ورأسها منخفض), that's what the MSA says. But saying w rasshaa metwaTeyyah sounded a bit off to me, so I changed it to w heyya mewaTTeyyah rasha (while lowering he head).

  • When she puts something into the king's cup and he drinks without noticing anything, the MSA says دون أن يلاحظ شيئًا, I translated it to min gheir maylaa7ez 7aga because it's perfectly ok to say that. The problem is, my mouth would say min gheir maa yakhod baloh first. Min gheir maa yakhod baloh has a similar meaning, it could also be translated as without paying attention.


Hope it helps. Happy learning!!

8 comments:

  1. Mashaa' Allah .. Well done indeed :)!!
    I think you need to get slower if the audience are not familiar with the language.
    Another point I think you need more story telling way..(pauses, shock,...)
    But bytheway your voice is VERY nice ;)
    She is called Katika or Khadiga :D LOL ;)
    Well done!.. waiting for more and more :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. 7ekayet 2abl elnoum heya? :-p
    I think I got really tired of this story, I can probably recite it by heart by now. I kept messing up, so rerecord, kont hatta2. hehehe

    Thanks for tips, w eb2i darrabini lamma net2abel isA, ok? ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Needn't to re-record from the beginning you can edit only the parts with voice problem ;)
    For the first time gameeeeeeel gedan :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I now know a better way to fix mistakes, but it took a long time before I did. Live & learn ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely great! like the idea and the implementation. Heard the MSA version so far.

    The "jeem" sounded strange at the beginning, but remembered Aljazeerah, and came to terms with it :)

    okay, some motion in your voice according to the events and division of the story would help visualize it better.

    I noticed that you're following the Arabic structure so closely and this is not helping.
    You're saying
    كاتيكا نامت
    و فى الصباح كاتيكا ركبت الحمار- أو حاجة زى كده

    This sounds strange in the Arabic. Start with the verb, it is more familiar in Arabic, and again to follow and visualize the storyline as we listen to it.

    Good work, glad you're using your time in useful things :)

    3ameyya version:

    more motion, you're obviously more relaxed, I like this.

    ده ملك - كانت بداية غريبة شوية كان ممكن تضيفى كلمات تقربها لأسلوب القصة و لا انت ملتزمة بالكلام المكتوب تماما؟

    بس عموما جميل جدا :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. JAK for the tips, that's what sisters are for. Eb2u zabbatuni. ;)

    The jeem always sounds strange to me coming from an Egyptian. I feel we can't get it quite right.

    I think the reason I stuck to the Arabic structure (when translating into 3ameyya) is because I wanted to show the difference between the two. My friends are learning both MSA & 3ameyya. Or maybe it's my inexperience with translation, still influenced by college. ;)

    Wait a minute, are you commenting about the language used in the MSA version? If so, that one I didn't touch, I was simply reading the text. I fiddled around with the 3ameyya only.

    Didn't spend much time on the MSA version. The 3ameyya version I kept repeating it over and over because I didn't write it down. So I was reading MSA & saying 3ameyya, tongue twisting. Shafet gamee.. eeeeh! kol el7og.. yoooh! owaD. Owad, owad, owad. :)))

    هو مبدئيًا ملتزمة بالكلام المكتوب في الكتاب المترجم في دماغي. بس ناخدها واحدة واحدة، أبدأ بالاسلوب السرد عشان الناس ماتنامش وبعدين أشوف اسلوب الترجمة. وللا العكس أحسن؟

    Just got my first assignment with DAT, so isA khair. Practice makes perfect isA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. okay, so it's bad translation from the book, not your fault. But then, we're judging from a storytelling viewpoint, didn't exactly remember the the reading-from-a-book and for-learning part.

    Also, you were too close to the mic at the beginning, you could hear the puff of the breath as you spoke. It disappeared later, though.

    Good work, girl, go on! and good luck with DAT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. like this very much!!!!

    thnx dis is really a huge help!

    ReplyDelete